Hat Basics – Styles Features and Types
A hat is a head covering that can be worn for protection against the elements, ceremonial reasons, religious reasons, safety, or as a fashion accessory. A good hat is an indicator of social status. Using them in the military helps denote nationality, a branch of service, rank or regiment.
Hats are probably the most preferable fashion accessory for making a style statement, and men proudly wear them not only to protect themselves from sunrays but also to show off their personalities.
Hats have been in existence since the 19th century, and since then many styles and various designs, colors have been introduced into the fashion world. Hats for men are available in a wide variety of materials and are either made with cotton, wool or felt material.
We also have different kinds of hat, which include
This is a rounded rigid helmet with a small brim predominantly used in workplace environments, such as construction sites to protect the head from injury by falling objects, debris and bad weather. This hat is made from durable materials such as metal, fiberglass, and rigid plastics.
This is a type of soft, light cotton cap with a rounded crown and a stiff, peak projecting the front. The front of the cap typically contain designs of various teams or companies. The back of the cap may be fitted to the wearer’s head size or it may have a plastic velcro, elastic adjuster so that it can be quickly adjusted to fit different wearers. The cap is often seen in everyday casual wear. The baseball cap is mainly made of wool and polyesters.
The bowler hat is also known as bob hat, derby, billy-cock or bombin. It is a hard felt hat with a rounded crown.
A fedora is a felt hat with a wide brim and an indented crown. It is a typically crafted lengthwise down the crown and pinched” near the front on both sides. Fedoras can be creased with teardrop crowns, diamond crowns, center dent etc. The typical crown height is 4.5 inches.
The brim of the hat is usually 2.5 inches (6.4cm) wide but may be wider, finished with a sewn over welt or bound with a trim-ribbon.
This hat was used as early as 1891. It is a popular hat, and it is also worn by some celebrities. Fedora hats are made of straw.
Panama hat is a traditional brim straw hat of Ecuadorian origin. Panama hats are light-colored, lightweight and breathable and is often worn as accessories to suits, such as those made of linen or silk. It is a straw hat.
A top hat is also called beaver hat, high hat, silk hat, cylinder hat etc, is a tall, flat-crowned, broad-brimmed hat, predominantly worn by men. It is worn at church, weddings and racing meeting attended by the Royal families. The top hat is also associated with stage magic, both in traditional costume and fashionable piece. This hat is made of beaver, silk, or other materials. The modern standard top hat is a hard, black silk hat, with fur now often used. The top hat comes in colors like black, white and grey.
It is a soft hat with a low crown and broad rim, pinned up on either side of the head and at the back, producing a triangular shape. It is worn by Europeans in the 18th
- QUALITY MADE " Made with a quality blend of 20% wool and 80% Polyester. The luxurious blend of wool felt and polyester offers a durable firm finish.
- CLASSIC STYLE- The timeless appeal of this black fedora is characterized by a short to mid-sized brim with an upturn in the back and this notable headpiece has gained popularity for being sleek, stylish, and simple.
- QUALITY BLENDED FABRIC " Well made from a combination of 20% wool and 80% polyester, the soft, yet durable felt breathes well, is non-irritating, and is great at keeping you toasty and warm during the winter months.
- SATIN LINING " A flattened crown is often the downfall of many great hairstyles but this Fedora is lined with a soft, supple satin lining to offer an extra layer of comfort to prevent œhat hair."
- DIMENSIONS: 9.50 x 11.00 x 4.50 inches. 1 Â¾ inch bound brim.
- WELL MADE- It is made with high quality 100 % cotton.
- SIZE - Approx SM 21 7/8 - 22 ", LXL 22 5/8 - 23 "measurement is made around the inside of hat. Front brim is 2 inches. Crown is 4 inches high and 1 inch non removable band around crown.
- GREAT LOOK - It is great a casual and formal hat ! You can wear hat with casual outfit as jean, shorts and formal look. It would be best item for upgrading your look.
- DETAIL - It is designed tear shape on top and folded short brim. It finished with non-removable band.
- It will look great on women as well. A strategically styled hat is one of the easiest ways to add personality to your look.
- SOFT WOOL BODY 100% wool body is soft, warm and attractive for any time of year; Offers stain resistance
- TRADITIONAL GANGSTER LOOK, features a stylish 2 3/8-inch brim and a 4-inch crown to emulate the classic dress fedoras worn by 1920s-era gangsters
- COMPLETELY PACKABLE DESIGN perfect for travel; Offers a crushable, packable design that bounces back to its original shape after long trips
- COMFORTABLE ALL DAY, the unlined hat has a grosgrain sweatband to wick sweat and hold hats shape
- Available in sizes small-XXL, in colors black, grey, blue, brown, and khaki/pecan
Hats sizes are determined by measuring the circumference of a persons head about 1 centimeter (1/2 in) above the ears. Traditional hat size is made by adding the fore and aft and side to side measurements ( in inches) then divided by 2. In UK, an equivalent hat sizes an 18th of an inch smaller in the US.
Tips to Buy a Hat
- Types: You need to know the type of hat available in the market
- Try them: Wear a few and find out which one suits your face cut/ shape.
- Material: The material should be durable as well as comfortable to wear.
Styles to Choose from
A round shaped face, a slim trim fit will be nice, a long face, then wear a short hat with less tilted on the sides, then for people with large foreheads need a hat with a brim rolled at the back to hide the prominent forehead. For a square-shaped face, round crown hat with a medium height will be great. Those who have an oval face, type of hat can be worn by them.